The Haunting of Low Fennel

12 December 2004

1920, November. London: C. Arthur Pearson. 


"First Published, November, 1920"

From the collection of R. E. Briney

Artist unknown

1924  London: C. Arthur Pearson. The 2/6 edition is printed from the same plates               but has no date or edition.

Black-stamped blue boards.

From the collection of Lawrence Knapp

Cover: Robert Collingwood

1926. London: C. Arthur Pearson. 

Third printing has yellow-stamped blue boards.

It notes:

First published . . . 1920
Reprinted  . . . . . .  1924
Reprinted  . . . . . .  1926

 

The Haunting of Low Fennel contained just seven stories:

The Haunting of Low Fennel
The Valley of the Just
The Blue Monkey
The Riddle of Ragstaff
The Master of Hollow Grange
The Curse of a Thousand Kisses
The Turquoise Necklace

The Haunting of Low Fennel was never published in the U.S. but all the stories except "The Blue Monkey" were later reprinted in the U.S. edition of Tales of East and West. "The Blue Monkey" has never been reprinted and can only be found in The Haunting of Low Fennel.  The British and American editions of Tales of East and West were quite different. The contents are compared here.

The original cover art was later reused on the 1930 Dutch translation.


Copyright 2000-2002 Lawrence Knapp. All rights reserved.

scarab.jpg (2690 bytes)